Composite fillings are more versatile than amalgam and so less of the original tooth has to be removed before filling. Composite is white and can come in a variety of shades to match the existing teeth in your mouth. They are mercury free and very safe.
Benefits of White Fillings That You Need To Know
If you have a decayed or broken tooth, you can get it rebuilt with a white filling. This involves a composite material that is coloured to match your teeth so it’s not noticeable.
Dental specialists have long used fillings in repairing decayed teeth. These fillings were safe and affordable and people prefer white fillings to improve their smile.
There are two major types of white fillings– direct and indirect.
These fillings are based on when the light is used during the curing procedure. Firstly, direct white fillings or dental composites are hardened with a curing light after the white filling material fills the cavity and molded to match the tooth’s shape. This is used for dental treatments such as disguising gaps or tooth reshaping.
Indirect white filling puts the white filling material first, cured with light then placed within the mouth. This method is often or more frequently used for larger tooth cavities, reshaping, inlays and onlays.
White fillings are becoming increasingly popular when it comes to repairing damage caused by tooth decay and cavities. Here are a few of the many advantages of white fillings:
- White fillings do not require as much drilling as other types of fillings. White fillings or also known as composite resin fillings require much less tooth to be removed and once the filling has been bonded to the natural tooth, it results in a stronger overall tooth.
- It only requires a few seconds to harden. After the filling is placed on the tooth, a specific type of light is placed to harden it. It typically takes less than a minute.
- These fillings can be used to fix chips and cracks. The quick bonding, durable and tooth-colored appearance of composite resin fillings make them perfect for repairing the cracked teeth.
- White fillings can be repaired as they start to degrade.
- This can be used to replace the old fillings.
- White fillings can restore not only teeth cavities caused by decay, but chipped, broken and worn teeth.
- The color can be harmonized to your normal tooth color to appear natural, so it isn’t noticeable when you smile.
This restoration definitely looks better aesthetically and can last 7-10 years.
White filling or any other fillings restore the look and the function of the damaged teeth and getting one needs proper and special care after.
So here are some of the things you need to know after receiving your white fillings:
- Avoid Really Hot and Cold Food and Drinks.
- Avoid Eating and Drinking While You’re Numb
- Don’t Chew and Bite Hard Objects
- Limit Foods and Drinks That Can Stain Your Teeth
The discomfort of fillings is temporary and curable. Always take special care of your fillings. Consult with Danny the Dentist for professional advice.